Sunday, August 21, 2022

And it’s gone





















I remember Friday…..a couple days ago, when I had great aspirations for the things we were going to accomplish this weekend.  Ahhhh I was so naive back then.  Last week, I bought some harlequin (rabbit) does - Jim and I have decided to let Harper and Saige breed rabbits for showing, selling and meat.  Something broke into the cage I had them in and they were all just gone.   We found 2 dead.  The other 2 were MIA, but I assumed the worst.   As I was headed in on the bus Friday, Saige called me hysterical - she saw one of the rabbits but couldn’t catch her.  Harper and I went to help her and ended up chasing a rabbit around for 2 hours.   She finally got herself into a place where we cornered and caught her.  We put her in a different cage and got her something to drink.   I was so happy to at least have one of them back!  
I got up early Saturday.  Jim had a few things he wanted to do, and asked me if it was ok if he and Andrew went fishing.  I was given 3 flats of white peaches.  (They taste identical to a normal peach, but the fruit is white like an apple inside).  My focus was on canning.  I told him I didn’t care.  Fish away!   I made 12 quarts of canned peaches.  In July, I canned peaches for the first time.   I was nervous that if they were gross, I didn’t want to make more of them.  So we opened some.  They were really good!   Not as pretty on the cutting as from the store, but the taste was nearly identical.  Jim told me he could definitely see eating more of them!   Canning peaches is very easy, but holy cow I made a mess!   The chickens were very, very happy to have the peelings!  Nothing went to waste!  It sucked up a good chunk of my day!   By the time I had canned and cleaned up, I realized I had not accomplished the laundry, cleaning and organizing I was going to do!   

Jim and Andrew took Evie and Saige fishing.  They had some luck, and had so much fun.  I am thankful for Andrew always taking Jim fishing.  It is something he absolutely loves doing, but hardly ever makes the time.  Andrew has had him out there quite a few times this spring/summer.  Jim is so happy when he fishes. It makes me happy.  I teased them that although I know Jim loves me, Andrew might be his soul mate.  

They had so much fun fishing in the afternoon, that they somehow came up with the idea that Andrew, Madison and Evie were going to camp at the county lake. They told Saige she could camp with them and she was so excited about it.  Jim said he would meet them out there and bring them some firewood, and go fishing for flathead for a while.  Saige packed up her camping gear and they headed out.  Around 11, I get a text from Saige “I am scared, I miss Carlos, and I don’t want to sleep outside all night!”   Jim wasn’t home yet, so I texted him.  Yes, he and Andrew were still trying to catch flathead, and yes he would bring Saige home.  This is one time I was super happy that the boys spend so long fishing!   It ended up that Jim went and got Saige from the campsite, and she fished with them.   Jim said the fish started hitting and they were having so much fun.  They ended up getting home a little after 1 this morning!  Saige said she had a great time reeling in the fish!  She was beat today though!  

Evie didn’t seem scared of camping out!  

Since Friday and Saturday didn’t go as I needed them, I was determined to get caught up today.  We got home from church, I came inside to get going on my list.  I was throwing a load in the washer when Saige called me - hysterical again. The rabbit we spent all that time catching- her cage was flipped and she was out.  But Saige saw her, she was alive and back under the box car.   So I gathered up Preston, and Harper, and we headed down to help her.  We chased the rabbit for 3 hours.   What is it they say about the definition of insanity?  We finally locked the dogs in the house, set out some food lures, fixed the cage, and fixed up a (we hope) more secure place for her.   We decided to try later because I still had a huge list!  
I worked in the house, Jim worked outside and then we went to town to pick up a new dishwasher, and a new microwave.   Because the day was crazy, we decided to get Chinese food for Sunday dinner.  Last week, when I went to pick out the appliances, Saige got a slip and slide on a clearance sale.  She had saved it to do with Evie during Sunday dinner.   They had fun playing in the water!    After dinner, Preston, Quincy, Andrew and I rigged up some Mciver kind of stuff and chased the rabbit around some more.  Preston had some choice words about the stuff I get him into.   Andrew never knows what kind of projects I will have for him.  BUT! We caught the rabbit!   I hope all the work we put into security will work!  

I had to buy a new dishwasher, and now the microwave is also fried.  It never ends!  
I am happy that I’ll be back to washing dishes not by hand soon, and the kids are looking forward to the return of microwave popcorn (yes I know it’s bad for you) and ramen noodles.   Soon my friends, soon!   And now it’s gone.  6 hours canning, 5 hours chasing rabbits, 4 hours catching up the folding for Quincy.   
New week. New things to do….I hope anyway!  

No comments:

Post a Comment