Thursday, August 18, 2022

First day vibes







Today is the first day of school for the 2022-23 school year.  We were not ready to give up summer break, but we didn't get a vote!  
Somehow, I missed back to school night (I am blaming the school for lack of communication, although I am not sure if that is actually what happened?)  Luckily, all of the kids felt comfortable just winging it.  This year, we have Preston - senior
Quincy - Junior
Harper - 7th grade
Saige - 5th grade 

Saige was up at 5 am when I got up.  She was dressed, and begging me to let her wear her hair down so everyone could see her "curtain bangs."  She was literally ready and hour and a half early.  She wanted her first day photo in front of the beautiful sunrise, but my phone was not cooperating!   
Everyone else - dragging, not up, not moving quickly, and not super excited about my requests for first day photos.  

Mallory is teaching 1st grade this year.  I think she was pretty excited about it!  
Madison is working as a lunch lady - she wasn't super keen on going back, especially since she only got a week off!

My sweet Evelyn started preschool this morning.  My office feels so empty!   I can't wait until it is time to go pick her up - I missed her!  Plus, I can't wait to hear what she has to say about school!  I hope her teacher can keep up!   I can't believe she is big enough for this.  

This is my 7th year driving the bus.  I feel like the morning went smoothly, nobody has called to say I missed their kid, and we got in on time.   I like the kids, do not mind this job at all.  As jobs go, I have had way worse.  However, I have two big problems with school starting - 1 - I love summer - I don't want to give up my schedule-less, bedtime-less, endless pool afternoons for schedules, time limits, and colder weather.  And 2 - shoes  - I am told I have to wear actual shoes to drive the bus - I want my flip flops - my comfy slides, my cool toe sandals.  Who decided it was unsafe to drive in summer shoes?  People who hate me I guess.  My toes are strangled inside socks, my feet are hot, and I miss the airflow.  First world problems I guess.  
I hope this will be a great year for all of us.  I pray everyone stays healthy, and safe.  
I also might have shed a small tear over Preston being a senior.  It feels like he should be 10.  My babies are growing up too fast!  

No comments:

Post a Comment