Saturday, July 8, 2023

Story time





Let’s share stories about the times our kids have scared the bejesus out of us, shall we?   I’ll go first.  Tonight, Jim and I returned Evie to her parents. We picked up a few groceries that we needed for tomorrow.  We came home and were attempting to get a few household things done.  I went down and folded a couple loads of laundry, and then came back upstairs.  I picked up my phone and realized I had several missed calls and texts.  Some from Jim’s co-worker and  some from Mallory.  All begging for us to call them, Mallory  stating that the city police officer was trying to get ahold of Jim.  I figured it was work related and told him to call.  I over hear him saying Preston’s car?  where at?  How bad?  Enough words that I know something is wrong.  He hangs up, and immediately calls the Sedgwick county police.  Preston and Cameron had gone to Wichita today to visit Colin before Cameron goes back to Louisiana.  They had planned to go fishing.  Jim is getting choked up on the phone. He hangs up.  He can barely speak. He tells me that the Sedgwick county police found Preston’s car parked by the river.  It has been broken into, but they cannot find Preston.  Which in turn means they can’t find any of our boys.  They told Jim there had been torrential rains and the river was flooding.  They were worried the boys had been swept down river.  I picked up my phone and called Colin - no answer.   Cameron - no answer.  Preston - no answer.  Fear Starts taking over.  I call Spencer. She answers thankfully.  I tell her what is going on.  She looks at the location on Colin's phone and  says it is showing him in the river.  More fear.  Spencer tells me she will call Colin and see if he answers.  I hang up, look at my big, burly husband who is choked up and he says “Hopie, this could be real bad.”  Nope.  That is unacceptable.  Jim is always the rock.  Fear is causing my heart to beat out of control.  I start the calling again. Preston - no answer.  Jim calls Colin and thanks be to God he answers the  dang phone.  In his laid back Colin drawl I hear hey dad!  Music to my ears.  Jim asked if he knew where Cameron and Preston are at?  He says well we are all walking back to Preston’s car, we have been fishing all afternoon!   They are right here - what’s up?  Sweet baby Jesus I did not know whether to hug them or choke them.  I am so thankful that they are ok.  
I am also thankful that Spencer was so helpful.  I know with her grandfather passing away this week, she didn’t need any other stuff to deal with.  
Now that I know everyone is ok, the story is sort of amusing.  Preston drove 2 hours away, had his car broken into, and we found out about it before he did.   I do feel bad for Preston as this is the second time his car has been messed up by jerks.  Luckily it seems like it is just a broken window, which is fairly easy to fix, and he lost $90 in cash he had in the dash.  
Thankful that we are talking about the amusing side rather than the alternative tonight.  I love my kids, but sometimes they scare the hell out of me.   (FYI all 3 of them swear they were not in flood water, nor were they in any danger at all today….just brothers enjoying a day together).   

No comments:

Post a Comment