Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Quincy is 17!













My pretty, sweet, strongly opinionated, hilarious girl is 17 years old!   I simply am flabbergasted at how fast that went flying by.   Quincy loves family, working, saving money, animals and sleeping.  She makes me laugh every single day, and although for years I have had the thought that we probably shouldn’t be laughing, we can’t help it!   She speaks a fluent version of sarcasm and a$$hole that is truly funny.  She has never taken life overly seriously and often has a perspective that makes you stop and think about things a little differently.  We are so blessed that she is our daughter! 
And like every year since she was born, we had to have her cake after being at the ballpark.  She never seems to mind, although this might be the first year she wasn’t playing on her birthday in a very long time.   Quincy was 5 days old when she went to her first ballgame, and she has been running ever since.   
I always laugh about Quincy’s birth.  It was ball season.  I had a perfect plan where she was due in mid August, and I had scheduled a c-section that would neatly fit after ball season and the county fair, but give me a couple weeks of recovery before school started. It was impeccably planned and she was going to have this amazing birthday of 8/7/06.  Cool right?   The girl makes plans. My creator laughs.  Quincy came a month early. We had 3 kids playing ball. The kids were in 4-H- summer is always crazy.  I remember very clearly - Jim took the boys to Eskridge for a ball game. He took my car because it had air conditioning.  When he was leaving, I handed him a checkbook and told him the van needed gas.  (This is important to the story).  He left.  Mallory had a tonsillectomy a few days before, and was feeling crappy, so I doped her up on pain meds and then took the rest of the kids over to the fairgrounds for a 4-H work day.  We painted, and fixed stuff and the entire time I felt like absolute crap.  We came home at pretty much the same time as Jim and the boys, and I had dinner in the crockpot ready.  We ate, I threw the dishes into the sink, proclaiming that I felt like death and went to get ready for bed.  I was hot, so I took a shower but as I was showering I felt worse than ever.  I laid down in bed, and when I did, I thought for sure I was going to die.  I started to cry, and was trying to walk off whatever pain I was in.  I walked outside  and started throwing up on the front yard.  About that time, Mallory’s pain medication wore off and she was also crying and when Jim gave her the pain meds it upset her stomach so she was in the living room also throwing up.  I overheard Jim calling my mom.  “Uhhh Nancy - I think I’m going to need help….Hope and Mall are both crying and barfing and I don’t know which one I should help first!”   Mom came in, decided that I should go to the hospital, and she took kid duty.  Jim and I head for the hospital, and as we are leaving town, Jim confesses that he never went to get the gas.  My van was empty.  The car we had at the time wasn’t road worthy (we kept it around town), and I was in a massive amount of pain. He kept driving and we made it to a gas station on the outskirts of Topeka, where I was feeling like absolute trash but we had to stop for gas or we would not have made it across town!  When we got to the hospital, they didn’t think I was in labor, they told me I had kidney stones.  Finally, someone decided to check and I was dilated to a 7!  I was not supposed to go into labor.  We learned that day how fast hospital people can move if they need to!   I went from being told 7 to Quincy being delivered in about 15 minutes.  She was a month early, was a dinky little thing and was feisty as hell.  She has been doing things the way she wants to, with no regard for my plans ever since.  And we wouldn’t have it any other way!  We love you Quincy!!!  




Nothing has changed.  At all.  It is tournament week.  Quincy did not want to go to the ballpark though!   Harper had 2 games (her tournament is a double elimination thing).  Saige’s team had advanced to the next round.  We took Harper and watched her first game, and then Saige and I left and went to her game in Osage City.  Jim stayed with Harper.  

Harper’s team beat Lyndon and then lost to Burlingame.  Her team will now advance.  Harper played well and was excited to play another day.  

Saige’s team did not have much luck tonight. They were run ruled by a pretty amazing team from Osage.   Saige wasn’t really upset, she said it ended the way she expected it to.  She does really like this team and this coach, and I think they are planning a few things that Saige is excited about.  We shall see how it works out.  


Birthdays and ball- staples of summer break!  

No comments:

Post a Comment