Monday, July 10, 2023

Not a one and done












So I said I wouldn’t cry if the girl’s teams were one hit wonders during the tournaments.  I lied.  When it comes right down to it, I like when they win.  Especially against certain teams - and certain coaches.  As I was watching tonight, the competitive spirit within me came to life.  Honesty, I’m no athlete, I don’t really care much on most days, and I certainly am not one who lectures the kids all the way home on things they need to improve, nor have I ever yelled at any kid to play a certain way.  However, once in a while, I find myself excited about how things are going. And once in a while the score matters to me.  Tonight was one such night.  The coach of the team we played against had all sorts of nastiness in her.  She was demeaning to her players, worse saying stuff about our players, and sort of, in my mind at least, it crossed a line between coaching and being a jerk.  Soooo I might have been extra happy when our team crept up from behind.  I might have been happy when her pitcher was having a really off night amd walked in a lot of runs.  I might have even clapped a little bit more than necessary.  Saige’s team has worked really hard this season.  Her coach, Emily is just a woman who loves softball. She has no kids this age.  She had no reason to step up and be a coach this season.  She just simply wanted to share her love of the game.  I appreciate all that she has done for these girls. Practices twice a week.  Games 2-3 nights a week.  Helping out with pitching practice, batting practice and inspiring the girls to do better.  I like her a lot.  And so do the girls she’s coaching.  It is worthy of mentioning.  
And because I am also a proud mom, I will also mention that the game was sort of close.  They brought Saige in to pitch, and it was important that the other team not score.  Saige pitched so well.  She struck out the first 2 batters of the inning.  The third batter hit off of her, Saige fielded a grounder and  threw the girl out at first.  It was exactly what we needed!    It was so fun to see how much improvement Saige has made this season!   
Tomorrow, we go back for round 2.  As a prize for their hard work, they will get to play against the excellent team from Osage City with the great pitcher.  They will have to play the hardest, best game of their life to win, but right now, I believe they could pull it off.  And at this point, why not?   We already passed the place where we could have proclaimed the season over.  What is one more night?   

No comments:

Post a Comment