Saturday, July 29, 2023

Are ya ready for the weekend?






















This week has been insane.  I worked a lot of hours at both my regular job, and the liquor store.  I worked more than I usually do At the watershed office, where it is budget time and the new tax laws that were passed last year are still new to me.   Learning to navigate them has been a huge learning curve.  So many more (unnecessary) steps than before.  So many ridiculous rules.   So much paperwork.  If I was being honest I would say I don’t understand the changes.  But that wouldn’t be accurate.  In an effort to keep small municipalities from getting more money than what congress thinks we should have, they passed a lot of insane regulations.  The silly part is that the same congress is sending me letters demanding I rehabilitate our aging dams.  How can I do that if I I can’t get money?   Oh well, nobody ever said working for and with the government would make you sane right?  

We did find time to have a little pool afternoon, and snuggle this cutie for a couple of hours.   I was happy to see my little sweet peas.  


As I have said before, in the summer, Grace and I have a walking date every morning.  We live an hour apart, so we walk and talk on the phone, but it makes me really happy, holds me accountable to get up, and moving, and allows us the time to catch up that we don’t always make during the school year.   The downfall of this is that it is visibly different starting in mid July as the days get shorter, and it is darker in the morning. You can feel summer slipping away.  This summer, that hits just a little bit different as I know when school starts, we will have one less kid in our household.  With all that I am, I will never get used to the kids moving out. I hate it.   I am so proud of Preston (and of the others too) and I am excited to see how his life unfolds, and to watch him carve out his future.  I am very selfishly sad for me.  Enough of that though- I’m not gonna get myself all sad before bed.  

Speaking of sad, I think I mentioned that this not too bright kitten rode on the engine of my van into town, and immediately upon realizing he was not cut out for outdoor life, we brought him inside.  Well, it turns out he might not have been compatible with indoor life either. This week, Preston was moving a desk, and had to flip it over to fit it through the door.  The cat happened to be under the desk as it flipped over.   It was an extremely sad day at our house, and I sincerely appreciate Jim taking care of the funeral.  Preston was understandably extremely upset.  He called me at work to apologize and was so sad.  He said the worst part was knowing how much the girls loved the cat.  He felt so bad that he decided to bring the one remaining kitten from the barn into the house.  Purple Nurple is now inside.  Where we know we can’t replace a lost loved kitten, Preston’s reasoning was that he didn’t want to lose any other babies.   Purple seems completely happy about the transition, and so far is settling in nicely.   We still have Clem outside, and honesty, I think I am giving up on the idea that we need barn cats.  It feels like a cat curse.  


It is Cameron and Lauren’s anniversary this weekend.  I asked what they were doing  to celebrate.  They hadn’t made exact plans.  I gave a few suggestions, but I don’t think they liked them.  Apparently they went to see the Barbie movie (I can’t believe she got him to consent to that).   The movie beat out gator hunting?  Hard to believe.  

They have also taken up pickle ball.  I was told that they are pretty decent at it.  

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1d7B3ho8FaBCODdE0aoorHgmW3SEumGuz
This is purple nurple, although there is a bit of a debate going on with her name.  Apparently Purple nurple is a fine name for an outdoor cat, but an indoor cat needs something more distinguished.  Currently the front runners are Kitt-on, skid, Warren the 5th junior, and Saige wants to keep her original name.  I have no idea how this will get settled, but I’m sure she will be loved and I’m hoping it goes better this time.  


300 Saturdays.  That is the estimate I give to Preston’s job with the Clawson’s.  He started working for them when they told Cameron that he could find someone to help him, and then to train to take over when Cameron graduated.  Cameron hired his little brother. He was in 7th grade.  We have hardly seen him on a Saturday since.  Today was his last Saturday.  These people have taken our kids, made them into adopted grandkids, compensated them generously for their work, taught them so many valuable skills, and most of all, believed in them.  I cannot even express how much influence they have had - positive influence!   Quincy also works for them.  They are some of the best people I have ever met.  Preston was extremely sad tonight.  He also said “what the hell am I going to do on Saturdays now mom?”   I’m proud of the work he put in, the skills he learned, the relationship he built and I admit that I shed more than a few tears with him over it.  . 


I heard from Colin tonight as well. Spencer is in Vegas, so he is home alone.  What does he do when he’s home alone?   Hangs out in his garage, goes noodling where he reports he pulled out so many fish!   One weighed 50 pounds.  He promised better pictures soon. He also planned a fun day for him and Preston tomorrow.  Tune in for more later!  
The rest of the weekend is going to be dedicated to preparations for the upcoming county fair.   We won’t have Sunday dinner since  Madison’s in-laws are in town for the weekend, and because we have to show up to work at the fair ground clean up day.   I’m not ready for any of it, but here we go!   
Updated to add- the monster! 



No comments:

Post a Comment