Sunday, June 16, 2024

Father’s Day

 


Would it really be Father’s Day if we didn’t give a shout out to our dads, tell the embarrassing thing, or remember that ours are the best?  I would regret it if I didn’t point some things out here I think.  My dad - a man of very few words.  Most of the time having a conversation with him isn’t really going to take you very long.  He expresses his feelings in one word answers and occasional sarcastic remarks.  You might even think he doesn’t like you, and he probably doesn’t (being honest here).  But you know who he does like?  His kids and grandkids.  He has literally been there for every single important thing in my life.  Helped me move, drug my stupid butt out
 of more ditches, snow banks, and mud pits than I can even remember.  He taught me to drive (sort of- mom ended up taking over that one), taught me to judge dairy cattle, chased down and lassoed several animals I “let go,” and has done the same for the grandkids.  He has driven more miles with a stock trailer on my behalf, or my kids behalf than I can count.  Always there to help, to lend a critical eye and to pace until you do the job right.  I couldn’t have asked for  better dad, or a better grandpa than him.  And sure, he is the center of a lot of my children’s comedy routines (ones where they yell at you to “hand them the clicker”) but it is nice to know that there is a man you can call and he will put on his boots and come to the rescue no matter what.  Love you papa Larry! 



And my kid’s dad.  The dad joke telling, strangely inappropriate, everyone must follow the safety rules, works harder than he should at his job, double dog dare you to try to come at me or the kids - dad.  I have never met a person who loves more fiercely, protects more forcefully, or cheers on more faithfully than Jim.  When he loves you, he does so with all of his being.  He has this way of making the world right in the chaos.  You will never find a man who is more supportive of making everyone’s wishes a reality, or who becomes more invested in your ideas and goals.  Truly one of the best men I have ever met.  I am so blessed that he is my kid’s dad.  



We had a somewhat quiet Father’s Day around here.  Jim is definitely not 100% yet.  The kids did come for Sunday lunch.  Colin and Spencer stopped by on their way back to Wichita.  It was nice to visit with all of them for a while. Jim got some much needed rest, and I got a few projects at least started that I have been trying to get to for days and days. It was a good day and I’m thankful for it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment