Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One of 'them days'

First of all, here are the bedroom wall photos. I think the paint is more what I would call soft brownish orange than toasted coconut, but I do like it - it looks so clean and new!
Quincy's preschool teacher had an opportunity to go to Washington DC with her husband this week. That means that Quincy has been going to work with me for the past 2 days. Today she was having one of her 'special Q' days where she was just a grouch all day and her listening skills were not up to par either. Honestly, I had a few moments today where enlisting her in military school crossed my mind. Anyhow, at my office this morning she and Harper were playing with some plastic animals....setting up a zoo. Harper kept swiping them and running off, and it was really frustrating Quincy (the zoo director). At one point I hear Quincy shout "dela bela boolaa seeahhla" at Harper and then proclaim 'I don't know why you won't listen to me, I have given you the directions in BOTH English and Spanish!"

This evening, everyone had someplace to be. Colin and Cameron had gavel games practice, the girls had pep band, all the kids were supposed to go to line dance practice, Jim had a special meeting etc etc. I pulled a couple of favors with 4-H moms and then took Preston, Quincy and Harper to the high school game because Mallory and Madison were being recognized during halftime for making the honor roll. I enjoyed listening to the pep band....and SFT has a pretty good varsity team, so the basketball was pretty ok to watch as well.
I was very proud of my girls! They both made the Principal's honor roll this semester. They really work hard!
I wish I could say that the game was all fun, but Quincy had other plans for me this evening. I think her goal of the day was to push me to the edge! I picked out some seats where there weren't many people sitting...that way they could play with their little cars and hopefully not bother anyone. There was only one man in the row in front of us. He was keeping the books for Northern Heights, and appeared to be in his 80's. He was not directly in front of us, but down about 8 feet to my left. Quincy and Preston were playing with their cars and were being ok, when I suddenly looked up just in time to see Quincy give this poor man a wet willy. That's right - finger on the tongue, and in his ear. Complete stranger. She got in some trouble, but probably not enough - after all it was a public place - people go to jail for beating their kids in public! Pretty soon, I realize she is sitting with my parent's neighbor - who happened to tell her that he knows Grandpa Larry. I have no idea how she 'escaped' but she was chatting it up with him. She knows no strangers and no boundaries! It will be a very, very long time before I take her anywhere again! (By long I mean Sunday for wrestling).
I was so flustered by the time the game was over that I walked out of the gym without my camera. I didn't realize it until we were home. Jim volunteered to go back out to see if he could find it. I was sick. The camera is not a great one, but I like it and there were photos on it I could not replace. Mallory went along to show Jim where I had been sitting. No luck there, but our neighbor happened to turn it in to the lost and found! I feel incredibly lucky to have it back! I will be calling him up tomorrow to thank him!
Also today, Jim filed to run for school board. We are hopeful that he will be elected in April. He has a ton of great ideas, and also a lot of years with kids in the school system here!

No comments:

Post a Comment